Maggie’s Character: Jane Craddock
Release Date: 5 February 2010 (USA)
Directed By: Scott Cooper
Screenwriter: Scotte Cooper based on Thomas Cobb’s novel.
Genre: Drama, Music, Romance
MPAA Rating: Rated R for language and brief sexuality.
Runtime: 112 min.
Box Office #’s: here
Bad Blake is a broken-down, hard-living country music singer who’s had way too many marriages, far too many years on the road and one too many drinks way too many times. And yet, Bad can’t help but reach for salvation with the help of Jean, a journalist who discovers the real man behind the musician.
From the Gallery
The concert scenes where Bad opens for Tommy Sweet were filmed at a Toby Keith concert at the Journal Pavilion in Albuquerque. Keith is thanked in the credits.
- Both Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell did their own singing in this film, with the assistance of voice coach Roger Love.
- Ryan Bingham, who plays Tony (the musician Bad talks to at the bowling alley) is a real-life rising country-rock star. Bingham co-wrote “The Weary Kind” with T-Bone Burnett and Bingham’s recording of “The Weary Kind” won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Best Original Song. So, the real Ryan Bingham won an Oscar while a fictional Ryan Bingham, played by George Clooney in Up in the Air (2009/I), who was nominated the same year, did not.
- In the first scene with Bad and Buddy, Bad is teaching him how to “kick” a paper football, a popular table top game played mostly by grade school boys for many decades.
- Bad’s music and songs were loosely modeled after those of Don Williams and secondarily, Leonard Cohen.
- Jeff Bridges modeled his character after Stephen Bruton, who was the music producer for this movie, Kris Kristofferson and John Goodwin.
- Filmed in only 24 days.
- Jeff Bridges has always been musically inclined, and actually released an album titled Be Here Soon in 2000.
- T-Bone Burnett composed the song “The Weary Kind” with Ryan Bingham, which Jeff Bridges performs in the film. T-Bone Burnett was musical archivist for The Big Lebowski (1998), a film in which Jeff Bridges also stars.
- The 35mm print was sent to theaters with the code name “Suzie”.
- Bad’s real name is Otis Blake.
- Robert Duvall previously appeared in Tender Mercies (1983), in which he too played an aging country music singer. Both he and Jeff Bridges received Best Actor Awards for their respective roles.
- The film is dedicated to the loving memory of Stephen Bruton, died before of the opening of the film.
Jean Craddock: I can’t help it if my capillaries are close to the skin.