Maggie’s Character: LN Fisher-Herrin
Release Date: 5 June 2009 (USA)
Directed By: Sam Mendes
Screenwriter: Dave Eggers & Vendela Vida
Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance
MPAA Rating: Rated R for language and some sexual content.
Runtime: 98 min.
Box Office #’s: here
Mid-thirtysomethings Burt Farlander and Verona De Tessant are a loving couple. Burt has always wanted to marry Verona, but Verona resists, not seeing the point of the institution. Regardless, they are having a baby together, despite questioning their potential parenting abilities. They are happy that they made the decision to move close to Burt’s parents, Jerry and Gloria Farlander, as they want to share the experience with the baby’s grandparents. Verona’s own parents died over ten years earlier, a situation about which she doesn’t like to discuss. In Verona’s sixth month, she and Burt learn that Jerry and Gloria are moving to Antwerpen, Belgium the month before the baby is due, just because it’s something they’ve always wanted to do. Burt and Verona don’t understand what they see as Jerry and Gloria’s selfishness in putting this move above spending time with their impending granddaughter. Being mobile people, Burt and Verona decide to move. As they want to share their new family experience with people that they love, they decide to take a trans-continental trip to meet with old friends and relatives. Most of them are married with children of their own, and Burt and Verona want to see where they would like to live and with whom they want to share the experience.
From the Gallery
- The film is the first studio production to adopt green filmmaking initiatives aimed to reduce CO2 emission. Garbage was reduced by half, thanks to the various bins for recyclable material. Caterers used ceramic and washed dishes as opposed to throwaway products. Vehicles on the set used biodiesel fuel.
- Toni Collette dropped out due scheduling conflicts. Maggie Gyllenhaal took over her role.
- This is first Sam Mendes film where Thomas Newman did not compose the original score. Newman has scored every Mendes film since American Beauty (1999).
- Melanie Lynskey, who plays Munch in the film, made her screen debut in _Heavenly Creatures (1994)_ with Kate Winslet. Winslet is married to the film’s director, Sam Mendes.
- For the brief oral sex scene, Maya Rudolph wore four pairs of biking shorts under the gown.
The quote by Simone De Beauvoir LN recites, but cannot remember which book it is from (“One is not born, but rather becomes a woman”) is from “The Second Sex”.
LN: [to Roderick] They bought us a stroller.
Burt Farlander: What’s wrong with a stroller?
LN: I LOVE my babies. Why would I want to PUSH them away from me?